Thursday 15 November 2012

Woman's Own April 4 1959 Page 10/11

BEGINS TODAY: Our romantic serial of a girl's fight against a man's domination
The Taming of Laura By Rachel Lindsay
Illustrated by Joe De Mers


AN April breeze stirred the pennants that flew high above the buildings of London Airport as Laura walked unsteadily across the tarmac to the canteen. 
She was in the second week of her training to be an air stewardeess with Bantock Airlines and her legs were still shaky from the ordeal of her first flight. For one awful moment she had thought she was going to be sick but then she had taken control of herself and had earned the pilot's congratulations when it was all over. 
Now she made her way to the canteen where she had arranged to meet her friend and classmate, Celia, to compare notes about the flight. 
The canteen was crowded but there was no sign of Celia. Thinking that perhaps her friend had gone by mistake to the visitors restaurant, Laura made her way over to a low building where a neon sign proclaimed: 'Arrivals and Departures'. 
Slowly she walked through to the restaurant but there was no sign of Celia and, exasperated, she decided to wait fifteen minutes before going home. Near the window was an empty table and she sat down, ordered a pot of tea she did not want, and thought of the exams ahead of her. 
"Would you mind if I shared your table? " 
Laura stared at the slim, dark-haired man in front of her. "Of course not," she said politely and as he took the chair opposite, began to pour her tea, conscious that he was watching her every movement. 
"Are you meeting someone or have you come to see someone off?" 
"Neither." Her reply was curt but the young man did not take the hint and proferred a cigarette from a gold case. Laura hesitated and then shook her head. 
"Oh come on," he pleaded. ''I'm perfectly harmless!" His dark eyes were full of mischief, and a smile animated his face. 
She guessed him to be about twenty-six and from the hue of his skin and the darkness of his hair, knew he was not English. There was, too, a trace of accent in his voice. 
"I am an Argentinian, " he said as if guessing her thoughts. "Allow me to introduce myself, Roberto Dimar at your service."  
I’m Laura Prentiss," she said, smiling at the blatant admiration in his eyes. 
He glanced at her hands. "Unmarried, I see." 
"Yes." She hesitated. "Actually, I'm training to be an air stewardess." 
"But that's wonderful! I travel a great deal and I'll be able to take you out all over Europe. Then my business will become a pleasure. " 
"We'll see." 
SMILING at his woebegone expression, she stood up. 
"When will I see you again?" he asked. 
"I'll watch out for you at the airport and just in case you don't recognize me in my uniform, I promise to come and say hello!"
"How could any man fail to recognize you?" He stood up and she saw he was the same height as herself, their eyes on a level. "Au revoir, Miss Prentiss," He gave her a half-bow. "You won't escape from me so easily." . 
Laura was still smiling at the conversation when she reached her lodgings, a gloomy bed-sitting-room with a gas fire that popped dismally. But she had grown used to such rooms since the death of her parents in a car crash, and this one was only temporary. She and Celia had found a small fat which they had arranged to move into in a few weeks’ time. 
When she reached the training school in the morning, Celia greeted her reproachfully."Where did you get to yesterday? I hung around in the canteen for ages." 

"Where did you get to, you mean?" Laura said indignantly. "I searched everywhere for you."

"I was in the canteen beside the store room.  Next time we meet at the airport we' Il have to be more definite. I never knew it was so big." 
"Next time we meet there," Laura said, "we'll probably both be running around after passengers!" 
"I hope so." Celia stared gloomily at her desk, piled high with papers. "I don't think I'll ever learn all this!" 
At the end of their sixth week of intensive training everyone in Laura's class was detailed to go and have their uniforms fitted, and-realizing this was tantamount to being told they had passed the course, Celia and Laura were in high spirits. 
Trying the uniform on for the first time, Laura thought that if it had been specially chosen for her it could not have suited her better. 
The dark green serge added depth to her eyes, while the forage cap emphasized the unusual colour of her hair.
For the first time, she relaxed. The past few days had been particularly hectic. They had been thoroughly drilled in crash practice and the use of life jackets. They had been shown how to make up sleeping berths, how to take on catering stores, how to mix cocktails and prepare all kinds of dietary meals. 
With a feeling of light-heartedness, she and Celia returned to their respective lodgings, knowing that in two weeks' time they would be moving into their new flat, fully qualified air stewardesses. 
Two weeks later, Laura reported for duty
for the first time. Listening to the welter of instructions given to her by the Flight Officer, she had no time to be apprehensive. 
Carlos watched hawklike, over his brother. 
The romance with Laura must end ... 
whatever the cost in money or tears 
 continued on the next page
She said, "I know that the day before our flight we have to be here for standby-duty, but what-" the rest of her words were drowned by the, roar of a plane taking off and she glanced out of the window, her heart pounding. 
As if sensing what was going through her mind, The Flight Officer smiled. "That's the ten-fifty leaving for Istanbul. You'll be on it tomorrow. It's an eight-hour flight to Athens and you slip over crews there. The next morning you fly to Istanbul and return to Athens the same day. Spend another night there and then fly back here." 
He looked up as a tall, thin stewardess came into the room. "Ah, Miss Marshall, let me introduce you to Miss Prentiss. She's doing her first trip with you." 
Joan Marshall smiled. "Don't look so nervous. Just follow me and you’ll be all tight." Not giving Laura time to reply she hurried off in the direction of the store room. 
"When we're on stand-by duty," she explained, "we have to load and check all the stores for the following day's flight and make sure everything in the galley is in order." As she spoke she worked with speed and Laura made a mental note of what to do. 
"We've done all we can do for today, " Joan Marshall finally announced. "Make sure you're here early tomorrow to check in. And don't look so worried. This time next week you'll be an old hand at the game," 
INCREDIBLE though it seemed at the time, Laura found that Joan Marshall was right. After a smooth maiden flight, the excitement faded into the routine of a regular job. After the first month she no longer went sightseeing but spent her slip-over times sunning herself on the terrace of the hotel where Bantock personnel stayed. 
One day, when they had touched down at Rome Airport, Laura stood, pencil in hand, waiting to check off the arrivals as they came aboard. 
Her pencil poised above the last name she frowned. 'R. Dimar'... Could that be the young man she had met after her first training flight?
Slowly a straggle of passengers walked across the tarmac and mounted the flight of steps. Yes, R. Dimar... was , the very same person who had asked her to have dinner with him. As he came abreast she smiled a greeting. 
"Good afternoon, sir. You have aisle seat number eleven." 
The young Argentina grinned. 
"I'm glad to see you passed!" 
"I didn't think you would remember me!" 
"But of course. How could I forget a girl who refused to dine with me? Won't you let me take you out tonight? You're a stranger in Athens and I happen to know it pretty well." 
Laura shook her head and the smile left his face. "Does that mean you don't want to come with me, or aren't you staying over? " 
"Yes, we are," she admitted. Seeing her hesitation, the young Argentinian said persuasively, "I bet you haven't seen the Acropolis by moonlight? " 
"No," she added, "I haven't yet done that. Very well, Mr Dimar. I will accept your offer."  
"Good. I'll call for you at nine o'clock. Where are you staying?" 
As Laura changed for dinner that night she was glad she had brought a pretty dress with her, and walking across the vestibule to meet Roberto, she felt a stir of excitement as she saw the expression on his face.
"You should always wear lilac," he murmured. "It's more subtle for you than green." 
"But not half as subtle as your compliments! " she retorted and they laughed together as they walked out of the hotel and he helped her into a gleaming white American car. 
LAURA wondered curiously what he did for a living. He seemed too gay and frivolous for her to imagine him interested in anything other than pleasure. 
"Why are you frowning?" he asked. 
She hesitated. "I was wondering what you do for a living." 
He smiled. "Does the name Dimar not mean anything to you? " 
"I've heard it before, but I'm not sure where."
"Do you not know of the Dimar Shipping Line?" 
"Of course! How stupid of me!" She caught her breath. "But you're not- "No, I'm not Carlos Dimar He's my brother."
"I see." Laura crossed her hands in her lap and stared down at them. To be the brother of Carlos Dimar immediately set Roberto apart, for the wealth of the Dimar Shipping Line was a byword. No wonder he had been surprised at her refusal to go out with him! She smiled. What a story this would make. to tell to Celia! 
Roberto ignored the large hotels and drove to a small restaurant where he was greeted like a long lost friend by the proprietor. 
"I take it you don't know much about Greek cooking?" he asked as they sat down at a table in the corner of the room. 
"Not a thing," she admitted. 
"Good. Then I hope you will leave it to me. 
"Tell me," Roberto said, when he had given their order, "How is it that a girl like you is not married  " 
"Because no marriage could offer me the pleasure I get out of my job." 
He looked at her in astonishment. "Really? I can see I will have to do something to alter that." He caught her hand across the table. "I want you to call me Roberto and I hope you'll let me call you Laura. I can't keep calling you Miss Prentiss for ever."
"For ever?" 
"For ever and ever. Now I've found you, I'm not going to let you go.
" Laura blushed, unused to such fulsome compliments. 
OVER coffee she found herself looking at Roberto surreptitiously. Seen in profile he looked exceptionally young, too young in fact. 
"How old are you?" she asked abruptly and was instantly horrified at the question. The Greek wine must be stronger than she had thought.  
But he merely grinned. "I’m" twenty-four. Do I look older?" 
"I though so at first but you're nearer my age." 
"And that is?" 
"Twenty-three, " 
He nodded. "At twenty-three most  Argentinian girls are well married." 
"You can't compare me with your countrywomen. " 
"Thank goodness for that! They are too docile and repressed." 
"I thought men liked docile wives." 
"Docile wives perhaps, but fiery mistresses."  
"Indeed!" Laura said coldly. 
"Indeed," he retorted and pulled her closer. "I love teasing you. You rise to the bait so easily. It must be your Titian hair. 
She raised her eyebrows. "Most men call it red."
"But I am not like most men. You will soon learn that for yourself." 
"Yes," she said soberly. "I can see that I will." 
Laura saw a great deal of Roberto, his charm and persistence overwhelming her original determination to keep free of any entanglements. He was in London throughout July and tried to commandeer all her free time. 
To begin with she resisted, but as she got to know him better and became more at ease in his company, she found herself accepting his friendship and basking in his admiration. 
She did not know much of his personal life apart from the fact that he was staying with his widowed mother and sister in their London flat. He spoke rarely of his brother Carlos, who to Laura remained a mythical, mysterious figure. 
ROBERTO'S invitation for her to attend a small party given by his mother came as a surprise, although Celia could not see anything unusual in it.  
"After all, why shouldn't he ask. you home? There's no doubt Mama wants to cast an eye on the girl who's monopolizing her son's time." . 
"He's monopolizing my time, too." Laura said. 
"Maybe." Celia's voice was unexpectedly dry. "But you're not connected with the Dimar Shipping Line!" 
Roberto had always referred to his home as small, but to Laura it was as much like a small flat as a palace is like a cottage. A large, square hall narrowed into a long corridor, on either side of which were heavy , mahogany doors and, leaving her wrap in an ornately furnished bedroom, she followed a maid into a drawing-room so large that, although fifty people were already there, it still seemed only half-full.
Laura had a sudden intense awareness of the difference between Roberto's way of life and her own. 
She was hesitating by the door when Roberto came forward. 
"Every time I see you, you look more beautiful," he whispered, as he took her arm. His eyes travelled over her slim, rounded body. 
"Don't stare at me like that," she whispered. "People are looking." 
"Let them." His fingers were tight on her arm. "Come, I want you to meet my mother." He led her over to a thin woman sitting beside a dark girl whom Laura had no difficulty in recognizing as Roberto's sister. "Mama," he said, "I'd like you to meet Laura Prentiss. " 
Senora Dimar extended a small hand weighed down by an enormous ruby ring. "How nice of you to come," she said in pleasant but halting English. "My son has often spoken of you." 
"It was kind of you to invite me," Laura murmured and turned to smile at Roberto's sister. 
Margarita smiled back. Olive-skinned, with large, sad eyes, the most attractive thing about her was her smile which was so friendly and inviting that Laura warmed to her instantly. 
Roberto said quietly, "Come and dance with me, Laura." 
She followed him into another room almost as large as the drawing-room. The carpets had been taken up and a three-piece band played softly in one comer. Together they glided into the rhythm of a waltz. 
"Oh darling," he murmured. "I'm so proud of you tonight. You're the most beautiful woman in the room." 
"And the poorest! Why, one single piece of the jewellery here is worth more than I earn in a year
"Is that so?" ." 
ABRUPTLY he stopped dancing and catching hold of her arm, led her on to a wide balcony over-looking the park. "So that's what you are thinking about! "
"Of jewellery? Of course not. " 
"Not of jewellery," he said quickly, "but you are thinking of the difference between us." He put an arm round her waist, but she pulled away from him and averted her head. "Laura, what's the matter? Have I done anything to hurt you? " 
"No, but-" She turned and looked at him. "I had no idea you lived like this."
"I made no secret of it." He was puzzled. "You knew who I was." 
"I didn't realize it meant such luxury and wealth. It's like another world to me."
 "That is nonsense! I'm still the same person. You're still the same person. Why should the fact that I have money worry you? 
"You're beautiful, what does it matter if you are poor when you are so rich in everything else? No jewels can compare to the brilliance of your eyes no pearls to the milky whiteness of your skin." Putting his hands on her shoulders, he drew her closer until their lips met. 
It was the first time he had kissed her, and feeling the warmth of his mouth she twined her arms round his neck. The pressure of his lips in
creased, and with a gasp she drew back. 
"Laura, what have you done to me? I'm crazy about you. 'Darling, I-" "Roberto, don't!" Quickly she turned. ''I'd like to get my wrap and go. It's late and I'm on stand-by duty tomorrow.' , 
"Very well. I'll drive you home." 
Silently they walked through the crowd of guests to the hall. 
"Roberto! " They both turned as Senora Dimar came out of the drawing-room. . "Lord Siddon is looking for you. "
"I'll come in a moment, Mama." 
"I want you to come at once." Senora Dimar lapsed into her native tongue and angrily he moved forward and answered her. 
QUIETLY Laura sped down the corridor, uncaring that she had not said good-bye to her hostess. She had to be alone, to think over this frightening, unwanted thing that had happened to her. She was in love with Roberto. In love with a man who was as far removed from her world as the moon. 
The following day Laura was on stand-by duty and spent the morning checking the stores and making sure everything was in order for their flight. 
Walking out of the building in the direction of the restaurant, she bumped into a man coming towards her. 
"Roberto! What are you doing here? 
"I came to drive you back to town. I must talk to you! "
 Sitting close beside him as they drove back to London, Laura wished that this moment could go on for ever: with the road unwinding before them, and the two of them completely alone together. She sighed and immediately he took her hand.
"Don't sigh like that, Laura. I love you so much and I want you to be happy all the time." 
She caught her breath. "Do you really love me? " 
"With all my heart. I have loved you for a long time, and last night when I kissed you, heavens! I was mad not to have kissed you before, but I was afraid of you. You're so far above me."
"Roberto, don't be silly. You don't know what you're saying." 
"I do !" he said passionately. "And don't tell me not to be silly! I won't have you talking to me as if I were a child. I'm a man, Laura, and I want you as a man wants a woman. You've got to be my wife, Laura." 
"But your brother-your family- what will they say? I'm not Argentinian and-" 
"It does not matter what anyone says. I love you and you love me. You do love me, don't you? You haven't said so yet." 
"You know I do, Roberto. But are you sure you mean what you're saying? You've told me so many times that Argentinian families always make approved marriages." 
"My marriage to you will also be approved. My mother and sister like you, and as for Carlos-he is a connoisseur of beauty and the moment he sets eyes on you he will know why I am mad about you." Roberto caught her hand in his. "Carlos has just come back from America. On Sunday he is giving a birthday party for Margarita and I will take you. We'll keep our betrothal a secret until you have met him. Once he has seen you and fallen under your spell I will tell him I have asked you to be my wife." 
LATER that night Laura remembered with disquiet Roberto's reference to his brother. 'Once he has seen you and fallen under your spell I will tell him I have asked you to be my wife.' 
But what would happen if the powerful Carlos Dimar did not fall under her spell? If, like most of his compatriots, he believed that not only should money marry money but that Argentinians should only marry Argentinians? Would Roberto be strong enough to stand up to him? 
On Sunday evening, when she opened the door of her flat to Roberto, the trouble Laura had taken over her appearance was rewarded by the look of admiration on his face. 
"Oh, Laura," he said as he took her in his arms, "these days apart have been like a lifetime." 
"To me too," she whispered. They clung together passionately and Roberto was the first to draw back. "My mother and sister have already gone to my brother's flat and I have said we will meet them there." 
Laura shivered. "I'm nervous." 
"You have no need to be afraid. I've told you Carlos will be charmed by you. In fact, I hope he will not be too charmed, for I am a very jealous lover." 
Driving through the dusk-filled streets Laura could not rid herself of a vague presentiment of fear. In her imagination Carlos Dimar was a figure standing for wealth and power who would instinctively disapprove of her. 
But when they arrived at the Mayfair penthouse where he lived, she forgot everything in the beauty of her surroundings. Here was a display of wealth such as she had never dreamed of. A maid showed her into a vast bedroom and, dropping her wrap on a chair, Laura walked over to the mirror and smoothed her hair; turning swiftly as Margarita Dimar came in.
The girl looked radiant in white satin, yet as she came closer Laura sensed that 'radiant' was the wrong word, for Margarita's eyes were sad; the same sadness Laura had noticed when they first met. 
"I am so glad you have come to my party," the girl said eagerly. She fingered the magnificent necklace round her young throat. "What do you think of my present? It is from Carlos." 
"It's beautiful." 
"Yes, isn't it? It's called a dog collar. Appropriate, don't you think?" 
NOT certain what to say, 'Laura' hesitated and Margarita said in a tight voice: "A dog collar for a. little girl who has to be led. For my next birthday I will be getting the lead and 'maybe the whip. Shall we go in?" As they walked into the crowded drawing-room, Roberto came up to them.
Standing by a Bechstien in the far coner of the room, a dark, broad-shouldered man stood apart from everyone else. A heavy cast of feature gave him a brooding expression and although his jutting nose, wide, sensual mouth, and firm chin were quite unlike Roberto, she knew at once that this was Carlos Dimar. 
As she was led across the room to meet him she saw that he too had dark hair and dark eyes, but Roberto's eyes were gleaming and fuIl of mischief, whilst in the older man they were hard and glittering. 
"Carlos," Roberto's voice was full of pride, "I would like you to meet Laura Prentiss." 
"Good evening, Miss Prentiss. I have heard about you." His voice was deep and more clipped than Roberto's. "You are an air stewardess, are you not?" "Yes." 
"I am surprised you haven't seen Laura, " Roberto said quickly. "You always fly Bantock, don't you, Carlos? "
"For the past six months I've only flown Pan American," his brother replied and turned away as a group of people approached him. 
"Come on," Roberto whispered, "we've done our duty,"
Laura followed Roberto on to the terrace where a few couples were dancing to the strains of a calypso.
ALTHOUGH Carlos Dimar did not know of her engagement, he must surely be aware that his brother was seeing a great deal of her, and she was illogically irritated that he had given no sign of it. 
She leant her cheek against the smooth-shaven one close to hers. No one was going to part her from Roberto. He was so tender and kind, so gay and full of life. . 
Over his shoulder she caught a glimpse of her host. Not only was he the most handsome man she had ever seen but there was an untouchable, aloof quality about him that was quite intriguing. 
"Your brother is a strange person, " she murmured. "He looks as if he's only here from a sense of duty." 
"But he is only here from a sense of duty," Roberto laughed. "Carlos hates parties. He's really an outdoor type and is happiest aboard his yacht. Not many people realize it. You must be perceptive." 
"I wonder what he thinks about me?" she mused. 
"We will know soon enough." 
At that moment the music stopped. and they joined Senora Dimar and Margarita. There was a young man by the girl's side and as the music started again he stood up and without a word led her on to the floor. He had the same dark colouring as Margarita, and Laura guessed him to be one of her countrymen. 
IT was nearly midnight when Laura left Roberto and went to the bedroom to powder her nose. She stopped abruptly as she saw the figure flung face downwards on the bed. Recognizing the white satin skirt she hurried over.
"Margarita, what's the matter?" 
The girl looked up, her face puffy with tears. "Nothing," she said huskily.
"I'll be all right in a minute." 
"But why are you crying? What's wrong?" Laura put her arm round the slim shoulders.
"Don't take any notice of me," Margarita gulped. 
"But what's wrong? Can't I help?" 
"No one can help me." The girl choked back her tears. "You see, I- I'm going to be married." 
Laura was startled. "To the young man with whom you were dancing?"
"Yes. " 
"Why should that make you miserable?" 
"Because I don't love him." 
"Then why marry him? " 
"I must, Carlos wishes it, and it is all arranged."
"You mean Carlos is making you marry someone you don't love?" 
"He says it is a suitable match. Antonio comes from a very respected family and he is of the right age and the right position." Margarita swallowed and forced back her tears. "But I don't love him! I love Philip!" 
Laura did not know what to say. The idea that Carlos Dimar was insisting that his sister marry a man she did not love, simply because he came from a good family and had sufficient money, money that Margarita did not need anyway, was something Laura could not believe. 

She leant forward. "But why won't your brother allow you to marry Philip instead? " 
"Because he is English," Margarita said despondently. "He's a doctor and has only just qualified. Oh, Laura, I would work with my two hands if only I could marry Philip. I would rather share one room with him than live in a palace."

Theatrical though the words were, there was a deep intensity in them that moved Laura to indiscretion. 

"If you feel like that, why don't you run off and marry him? " 
The girl shook her head. "I owe a duty to Carlos. Since Papa died he has looked after Roberto and my mother and me. For the past twelve years he has worked tirelessly for us and has given us everything. I cannot go against him. I owe him too much." 
"I've never heard anything so ridiculous! " Laura began and stopped as she heard a step behind her. Swing- ing round she saw Carlos Dimar standing by the door, one hand in the pocket of his jacket, the other holding a cigar. 
LAURA had no idea how long he had been there and wondered how much of the conversation he had heard. But he only smiled briefly at her, and walked over to the bed. 
"I was looking for you, Margarita. The guests are waiting for you to cut your cake and Antonio wants to give you the engagement ring."  
"Very well." Margarita stood up, smoothed the skirts of her dress, and walked from the room. 
Troubled, Laura followed them. 
For the rest of the evening she was intensely conscious of Carlos. Several times, glancing in his direction, she found his dark eyes fixed on her with an enigmatic expression, but each time their gaze met, he turned his head away. Yet when she went to say goodbye to him, his manner was charming. 
"You made a great hit with Carlos," Roberto whispered as they went down in the lift. "In a few days time I'll talk to him about us." 
The lift reached the ground floor and they walked across the vestibule. A chauffeur stood beside the silver-grey limousine and held the door for them. 
Alone together in the back of the car, with the chauffeur's broad shoulders looming over the glass partition. Roberto took Laura in his arms."
I've wanted to do this all the evening," he said "You look so beautiful, my darling." 
They kissed deeply, passionately and Laura knew an overwhelming sense of tenderness. 


"Oh darling," she whispered. "I do love you." 
"I should hope so!" He kissed the tip of her nose. "What a lovely nose you have -just right for an Argentinian wife." 
"But I'm English!" 
"You won't be when you marry me." 


"Oh yes I will. I'll never give up my nationality."
"All right." He gave in at once. "I won’t argue with you. If you want to remain English you can." 
He pulled her closer "I won't be able to see you for a week, Laura. Carlos told me tonight that I must go to Paris." 
"Isn't that rather sudden?" "Not really. In this business you must expect to rush off at a moment's notice. But it'll only be for a week, darling, and you're out of the country for the first few days, anyway." 
The car slowed to a stop outside the gaunt Victorian house where Laura lived. Roberto followed her on to the pavement and walk up the steps to the door. 
"I daren’t come in," he said. "Mama will be waiting up for me." 
Chilled by this, Laura stepped into the vestibule. 
"I understand: Goodnight Roberto. " "Goodnight, my sweet one. I'll telephone you, from Paris." 
WHEN Laura let herself in the flat she was surprised to find the light still burning in Celia's bedroom and she tapped on the door and went in. Celia was in bed reading, her face shining with cold cream, her hair in pins.


"Well, well!" Laura looked at her. "What’s all this glamour in aid of?" 
"Nothing."
"Are you kidding? You're off duty tomorrow so you must be seeing someone special. Who is it?"
Celia hesitated. "Tim O'Brien, He's the navigator on my flight. But don't let's talk about me. How did the party go? Gosh, won't the other girls be jealous when they find out you're going to marry a handsome young millionaire." 
"Roberto isn't a millionaire," Laura said sharply.


"He works for his brother and I'd say Carlos Dimar holds the purse strings very tightly." 
"Even so, he must be loaded. You've made a terrific catch, Laura. Don't you realize it?" 
"Considering you're a friend of mine, that's not a very complimentary remark. Don't you think Roberto is doing well for himself too? " 
CELIA giggled and looked contrite. "What a beast I am. You're quite right. You might be doing well for yourself but Roberto is doing even better, 
"A beautiful girl who can cook, who can take care of thirty-eight passengers at a time and is guaranteed not to lose her head in an emergency, is a catch beyond compare." 
"I don't know about the last part," Laura said soberly. "I've never had to face an emergency and I'm scared in case I crack up." 
"Don't be absurd! Why should you crack up?" , 
"I don't know. One never knows until it actually happens and then it might be too late." 
Lying in bed later, Laura remembered the words and shivered. Were they in any way prophetic? Would her hopes of marrying Roberto crash when faced with opposition from his family? 
If Carlos Dimar insisted that Margarita marry a man of his own choosing, what would he think of Roberto marrying a girl who, apart from being a foreigner, had also to, work for a living?
----------------------
*Laura is beginning to realize that she is up against strong family tradition enforced by the dominant, powerful Carlos. Will Roberto stand up to his elder brother? In next week's dramatic instalment Roberto is put to the test. .



No comments:

Post a Comment