Friday 16 November 2012

Woman's Own April 4 1959 Page 7

Contents
------------
STAR FEATURES
Fiction:
Precious Moment by Jane Thomas     
Forgive Me, Darling by John Montgomery 
Serial:             
The Taming of Laura by Rachel Lindsay 

Specials
All About Cheese                       
Round the World on £25 by Don White              
Spice of Life                                                       
My World                          
Woman Against the World by Sheilah Graham
The Way I See It                 
Be the Girl You Want to Be by Pat Boone        
Film Serial-Life in Emergency Ward 10           
-------------------------------
and please don't smile at me, sir, until we have been properly
--------------------------
Letters YOU WRITE THIS-WE PAY!
He hates my  favourite holiday
My husband tells me he hates a summer holiday in a  deck-chair on crowded beach. But our daughter and I like nothing better. This year he suggests we spend our holiday apart. He wants to go off to the country somewhere on his own, while we go to the seaside. He says this is not unreasonable. His argument. is that he has patiently endured the beach, with its litter, noise and dogs, for the past six years and would now like something different for himself, though he does not want to prevent my daughter and me from enjoying our favourite holiday. I hope I am not an ungrateful wife but I don't feel very keen on this idea. -MRS. A. L., Manor Park, London, E.12.
------------ Forged link
 I claim to be the only woman to be married over the Gretna Green smithy's anvil in England. It happened in February last year as we left the register office at Caxton Hall, London, and I still have the curtain ring provided for the ceremony by the Huddersfeild students who brought the anvil out of Scotland for the purpose.-MRS. JOAN EGGERMAN, LONDON, N.W.5.
-------------- Bird of peace
My husband and I are, or rather were, very argumentative. Then a friend presented us with a cuckoo clock. We were both in disagreement as to where it should be hung when it popped open, and the bird called 'Cuckoo'. We both felt so foolish we stopped arguing, and the clock now hangs in the most used room, the kitchen. - MRS. DOYLE, CHEADLE HULME, CHES.
---------- Music while I work
Vacuum-cleaning under a piece of furniture the other day, I suddenly heard a weird sound coming from goodness knew where. Later I found a toy mouth organ wedged in the brush. The suction from the cleaner had produced music while I worked !-MRS. E. BADGER, BIRMINGHAM.
-------------- Picture scoop
Surely a magazine which gives us such rare delight as in recent numbers-the lovely Golden Roses, the clever and practical articles by Norman Hartnell and unusual serials like Woman Doctor At Sea, should not print the Picture Scoop of Ingrid Bergman which lately appeared in WOMAN'S OWN? What distresses me is the tone of the captions, Miss Bergman positively bleats for sympathy.- MISS NOEL E. NICHOLL, NORWICH.
***
I have seen Ingrid Bergman in only three of her more recent films. What a delightful person she sounds -so beautiful, versatile and obviously talented. In your magazine she appears as someone warm hearted and happy, giving pleasure to all.-MRS. A. G., BIRMINGHAM.
--------------- Wedding feast
A few days before our wedding my husband and I were talking romantically of our plans. "Darling," he suddenly said. "Do you know the first thing I'm going to do when we arrive at our house after the reception?" "No," I replied, still thinking my romantic thoughts. "Well," he answered, "I'm going to cook myself a bacon sandwich and have a cup of cocoa." Oh! Men -MRS. P. GOUGH, WALTHAM, ABBEY, ESSEX.
------------ So chic!
I knitted my father a pair of bedsocks as he was always complaining of the cold. With the remaining wool I made myself a fashionable little hat, with earmuffs. Just afterwards, my treasured hat disappeared. I have only recently discovered that my father has been wearing it as a nightcap to match his bedsocks.- MISS E. B. WALTERS, DERBY.
---------------- Why don't they
..make flavoured porridge, it would appeal to children much more.-MRS. C. F., MEASHAM, STAFFS.
..fit droppers on to the top of essence bottles? Invariably when a recipe states "Add 10 drops," I add one hundred and ten.-MISS S. LANE, WEST DENTON, NEW- CASTLE, NORTHUMBERLAND.
..change the shapes of handkerchiefs, how about a pretty star or a delicately embroidered circle? -Miss S. C., LINCOLN.
-------------- Illustrated story
When I arrive home on WOMAN'S OWN day, I can generally tell the theme of your main story from my wife's appearance. A simple black dress, no make-up and hair brushed back means drama; jeans and sweater with a bright lipstick and an attempt at a pony-tail hair-do means a teenage love story for sure; but best of all is the sophisticated type of story with night-clubs and elegant women, for then we have the most glamorous dress, eyeshadow and an ‘it’s taken a long while to fix’ hairstyle.- J. ROWE, CRAYFORD, KENT.
------------ Slimming fund
To help the hungry half of the world, how about slimmers starting a fund? My idea is that everyone on a slimming diet could skip a meal a week and send the money saved on not having it to some central organization, such as UNICEF, who will see that it is spent in the proper way. There must be thousands of women in this country who are trying to lose weight in order to look nice in summer dresses, and I am sure there would be a wonderful response to such a scheme.- MISS BARBARA BROWN, FELIX' STOWE, SUFFOLK.
------------ Telling reflections
Girls more conceited than boys ? Never! During the holidays I served in my grandfather's shop. At least three-quarters of the boys who passed outside turned to look at their reflection in the window and some even stopped to comb their hair. But in two weeks I never, saw one girl do anything like that- M. DAVIES, CARDIGAN, N. WALES.
---------- Things they say 
Just having learnt to say the nursery rhyme, Baa-baa Black Sheep, my two-year old daughter refused to come out of the bath when the water had run away. Instead, she peered down the plughole. I asked her why, and she replied: "I'm looking for the little boy who lives down the drain."- MRS. J. WHITE, BARNET, HERTS.
* * *
£1:1:0 (about $2.95)? For every reader's letter published, there is a guinea to be won, send yours to 'Letter Page' at the address given on this page. They should be original and must not be duplicated in any other magazine or newspaper.
----------------------------------
----------------------------
The average price of a new home then was $12400 about 2.48 times the yearly average wage of $5010. Which was about 2.28 times the price of a new car $2200. And the future was progressive not regressive

No comments:

Post a Comment