Tuesday 26 March 2013

Woman July 7 1956 Page 70

Woman's MIRROR continued from page 69
Give your windows a 60 SECOND shine
It takes just one minute to clean a large window with Miraglo. No rubbing; no mess; no preparation. Apply Miraglo straight on to dirty windows wipe it off, and you have a brilliant shine first time, every time!
Make sure you get Miraglo - it's the marvellous blue window cleaner. Only 10d (about 12 cents)?. or double size 1/3d (about 18 cents)
?.
 Use it for chrome and mirrors too!
Miraglo LIGHTNING WINDOW CLEANER
Contains D.D.T. kills Flies
A PRODUCT OF THE JEYES' GROUP
----------------------------------------------------------

This thorough cleaner keeps the air fresher
Nowhere can you find a better cleaner than Sanilav for keeping the lavatory sparkling clean and white. Sanilav is gentle-but very thorough! It cleans with amazing efficiency and disinfects everywhere it penetrates. Sanilav does more than lift a tiresome job off your hands. It cleans and deodorizes right down the bend where a brush cannot reach. And it leaves a clean fresh fragrance that lasts for hours.
Sanilav the safe thorough lavatory cleaner
Large size 2/8 (about 37 cents)? Handy size 1/7 (about 22 cents)
?
 A PRODUCT OT THE JEYES' GROUP
------------------------------------------------------

MIRROR CONTINUED DOUBLE EVENT
May had a moment of panic, then chance gave her the courage she needed
IN only half an hour forty-one year old Mrs. May Burchett, became both a mother and a grandmother.
David, May's baby son, came squalling into life at two thirty one Wednesday morning. Thirty minutes later May's daughter-in-law Connie, aged twenty-six, had a baby daughter, Patricia, in the same hospital.
The two tired but happy mothers nursed their new-born babies and smiled at each other from beds side by side in Canterbury Hospital, Kent.
May felt deep gratitude to her son's wife. It was Connie, already the mother of one pretty little girl, who had given her courage.
"I don't know what I would have done without Connie beside me, ''May confessed in her home in the little village of Graveley, Kent: ''I'd been very worried about having another baby, David is my fifth, and there are eleven years between him and the twins, Rosemary and Maureen.
"People told me, wrongly I realize now, how dangerous it was to have another child at my age. I'd been ill for most of my pregnancy, and Arthur, my husband, had been out of work for months.
"I completely panicked about the baby. I thought I was going to die. Connie gave me confidence. Instead of mother-in-law helping a younger woman, it was the other way round."
Now May Burchett can look back on that time more cheerfully, although sometimes the strain and worry still show in her blue eyes.
"It was strange the way Connie and I went to the hospital together," she mused. "She had expected her baby a fortnight earlier. David wasn't due for another two weeks.
"Arthur was out when 1 first felt pains at eleven in the evening. I thought it was nothing. I'd had such a bad time that I was used to pain. Then I suddenly realized; my baby was on the way.
"When Arthur came home he phoned at once for the ambulance. We didn't know then, but Connie and my son Ted were already on their way to the hospital from their home a few miles away."
Glad to see Connie
"The ambulance driver got the" call to turn back for me, and was afraid that the delay might be too much for Connie. But when Ted told her it was me, she wanted them to turn back. I was so glad to find her in the ambulance. She was a help to me all the time. I was terrified that I wouldn't come through.
"We arrived at the hospital at ten past two in the morning, and David was born only twenty minutes later. When it was all over for me and I held my baby in my arms, I suddenly thought of Connie. I could hear her crying in the next bay of the labour ward, and I worried that I'd upset her. They told me she was doing fine though, and at three o'clock Patricia was born.
A little later the two mothers were in bed side by side, May with David, who weighed 7 lb. 2 oz. and Connie with Patricia, a bouncing 9 lb. 4 oz.

Grandmother May (right) holds her son, and he watches his camera conscious niece, nursed by Connie

May Burchett smiled as she said: "It's grand being able to share the interest of a new baby with my daughter-in-law. We'll be able to compare progress, and mind each other's babies if we want a free morning or afternoon.
"Things looked rather black for us a few months ago. Now everything is turning out fine. .
"Arthur has got a job as a window cleaner, so money worries are over. David is a wonderfully good baby, and the twins adore him so much that the only chance I have to look after him is when they're at school!
Thanks to Connie, I came through my moment of panic. Becoming a mother and a grandmother all in the same half-hour was a strange experience, but a good one." ---- BETH STEVENS

---------------------Consultants’ Casebook------

FOOT INJURY
 A PLEASANT girl of twenty two, she limped painfully into my consulting room.
She didn't have to tell me that her right foot was swollen and painful. I could see the swelllng and some dark bruising through her nylon stocking.
"Would you mind taking off both shoes and both stockings?" I asked. Surprised, she did so, and I explained that the best way to see if there's any thing wrong with one foot, hand or shoulder, is to compare it with its opposite number, in this case, the uninjured foot.
"How did it happen?" I. asked.
"I fell down three steps yesterday," she said. "1 was· coming off the tennis court and my foot slipped.
"It was very swollen and bruised this morning. My mother wanted me to stay at home and rest it. But we're very busy at work and I do all my work sitting down at a desk."
"Your mother was probably right," I said, "but let's see what has happened."
I made her sit on the end of the couch with both feet well clear of the floor. One by one I made her try all the different movements of which the foot and ankle are capable.
Her right foot moved in most directions, but the movements were limited and painful.
It was obvious that there was nothing the matter with her ankles or with her toes. The damage was in the area of the metatarsals, the slim long bones in the foot which correspond to those between wrist and knuckles.
I felt each bone in turn. Doing so hurt her, but not all that much.
"I can stand it," she winced, . "though I can't say I like it.
"I think you've been lucky," I said.
"I don't think there's a fracture. Just some bad bruising and swelling which will take a few days to settle. But we'd better have an X-ray to be safe."
Sometimes, through the swelling and thick ligaments, it is impossible to detect a fracture by clinical examination, but an X-ray shows it clearly.
Sure enough, there was no fracture. All she needed was the simplest treatment. I showed her how to apply a crepe bandage to make the foot more comfortable and better supported.
"Now morning and evening I want you to give this foot a contrast bath, half-a-minute under each tap, hot then cold then hot. Give it a full ten minutes, starting and ending with hot water. "
"Rest the foot on a cushion While you have breakfast or supper. Then put the crepe bandage on yourself. "
 I showed her some gentle toe-twiddling and foot-circling exercises that I wanted her to do, too.
"Walk on it by all means, but as little as possible. Whenever you are sitting down, put the foot up on a stool or another chair."
When can 1 play tennis again ?"
"Three weeks from now, if you're lucky and you do as I've told you." I saw her three weeks later. She waved her racket at me triumphantly when I was driving past the tennis club.
----------------------------------
----------------------------

The average price of a new home then was $11700 2.63 times your yearly average wage of $4450.  Which was about 2.17 times the price of a new car $2050. And the future was progressive not regressive

No comments:

Post a Comment