Friday 16 November 2012

Woman's Own April 4 1959 Page 4

"There is diabetes in my family, Doctor, and I'm terrified my unborn baby will be affected."
Doctor's Diary
 A NICE young woman,  Mrs. K. She tends to worry herself unnecessarily over this pregnancy, but that isn't surprising! It is her first, and both she and her husband have been wanting this baby for quite a time.
 "Doctor, this is going to sound awfully silly," she began, "but something I heard last night has scared me."
 "I told you a long time ago, Mrs. K., I'd much rather you brought any fears out into the open, however silly they may seem. All expectant mothers have them, it's only natural, and it doesn't do any good to bottle them up. Tell me what is worrying you."
 "Well, a friend came to see me, and we got round to talking about the different kinds of test one has done during pregnancy. I told her that whenever I came to see you, I had to bring a specimen of urine. She then said that this was to see if there was any sugar present."
 "That's right." I nodded.
 "Then she asked me if this was because I was diabetic. I told her I wasn't, of course, and she said that was a good thing because of all the dreadful things that might happen to me if I were."
 "Such as?"
"She said my baby would grow to be an enormous size, so big that it would die, and I'd have to have it taken away by an operation. Also that I'd have puerperal sepsis, and that afterwards the diabetes. would be a thousand times worse.
 "I was scared because I think my grandmother had diabetes. I wondered if I'd inherited it, and you didn't like to tell me."
 "I've never heard such nonsense, Mrs. K., or so many old wives' tales all at once. Just you forget every one of them. There is no truth in them, although, strangely enough, I can just about see why your friend might have thought them up.
No treatment
"First of all," I told her, "you haven't diebetes. True, you have a regular urine test, and so do all expectant mothers! Even if we find any sugar, this needn't mean you had diabetes.
 "As a matter of fact, Mrs. K, during the first three months the presence of sugar is so common that at one time it was thought this might be used as a pregnancy test! With no other symptoms, this is quite without significance, and no treatment of any kind is necessary."
 "My goodness, that is a weight off my mind," she interrupted.
 "On the other hand, sugar in the urine may be due to a mild form of diabetes, but this is very rare. So rare, that the figure given is that it occurs in a traction of one percent of all pregnancies. What is more, it isn't serious, provided of course that it is diagnosed. Once we know it is there, we can give the appropriate treatment in the form of insulin and a regulated diet."
 "And the baby would be all right?"
 "Oh yes. Mind you, there was a time when, if a known diabetic became pregnant, things were very tricky indeed, both for the mother and the baby, but that was before the introduction of insulin.
Healthy babies
"Now, it is an altogether different story," I went on. "There is no reason at all today why a diabetic woman should not give birth to a healthy, live baby, and what is more, there is no reason why, having done so, her own complaint should be aggravated in any way."
 "Is the baby always born by operation ?" Mrs. K. wanted to know.
 "You mean a caesarean section? Gracious, no. This is done if there is any obstetric complication present, such as toxemia or any malformation of the pelvis, but usually the only difference is that labour may be induced early." 
 "Why is that?" she asked. "Because the latter part of pregnancy is somewhat tricky from the baby's point of view. You know, of course, that if we say somebody is suffering from diabetes, it means that their pancreas (one of the endocrine glands) isn't producing sufficient insulin to cope with the sugar in the body. So we give them insulin artificially."
 "I suppose such a baby is always born with diabetes himself?"
 "Oh no. Far from it. In fact, some authorities maintain that a child cannot inherit diabetes from its mother alone. The risks of him developing it are considerably higher if it is on both sides of the family, of course.
 "There is one very interesting point. Sometimes a diabetic, or 'latent' diabetic; will give birth to babies of heavier and heavier weights, and that may be the first suspicious sign. Now, Mrs. K, has this set your mind at rest at all?"
 "Yes, indeed. You've said everything is all right. I shan't worry any more."

RODERICK WIMPOLE.
Dr. Wimpole regrets he is unable to enter into any correspondence. 
 

SKIN SURVEY
Did you know that the skin area of the average adult covers about two square yards? Each square inch contains approximately twelve feet of nerves and three feet of blood vessels.
NEXT WEEK: THE DOCTOR TALKS ABOUT SHINGLES.
----------------------------------
I DREAMED I MADE MUSIC IN MY NEW SWEET
maidenform bra ‘sweet music’
Sweetest bra this side of heaven, it was born to be worn with the "Empire look". Specially stitched cups bring out curves you never dreamed you had! Embroidered bands outline the cups, an elastic band under the cups makes this bra fit like a tailor-made. You try it! 11/6 (about $1.62)?
Registered  (and Registered U.S. Patent Office)
Registered U.S. Patent Office
Maidenform bras are available at all good stores, details from:
MAIDENFORM (LONDON) LIMITED
Department L
68 OXFORD STREET LONDON W.1
-------------------------------------------
----------------------------
The average price of a new home then was $12400 about 2.48 times the yearly average wage of $5010. Which was about 2.28 times the price of a new car $2200. And the future was progressive not regressive

No comments:

Post a Comment