Sunday 11 November 2012

Woman's Own April 4 1959 Page 46

"I just didn't believe it" say CLAIRE BLOOM
" I was just 20, and practically unknown outside London," says Claire Bloom, "when suddenly, out of the blue, I was told that Charlie Chaplin was considering me for his new film and wanted me to send some photographs.
"I simply didn't believe it! In fact, I was so sure it must be a mistake that I didn't do a thing about it. A month later I got a wire saying, 'Would you please send the photographs, Charles Chaplin.'
"So it was true and I'd kept him waiting all that time! I wrote off straight away to apologize. That was the most important letter of my life, for a week later he wired asking me to fly to America for a screen test."
Claire Bloom got the part, and her moving performance as Chaplin's leading lady in "Limelight" gave her an international reputation as one of the very best of Britain's young actresses.
You never know which of your letters may prove important, so each deserves special care. Claire Bloom likes to write on Basildon Bond. "The writing surface is perfect," she says.
Next time you write a letter, write it on Basildon Bond. From stationers everywhere.
Basildon Bond
CHOSEN BY DISTINGUISHED PEOPLE

CLAIRE BLOOM, with her grave beauty, has won herself a place as one of Britain's leading stage and screen actresses. Look out for her new film, "The Buccaneer."  
A John Dickinson Product
----------------------------------------------------

"Many people who used it first on medical advice, now use Sebbix shampoo for the sheer beauty of clean lustrous hair
NEARLY EVERYONE, at some time or another, has dandruff. More and more doctors recommend Sebbix shampoo to deal with this condition, because they have see the wholly satisfactory results of its use. Sebbix has two very special ingredients, purified coal tar fractions and hexachlorophane, which clear the scalp of dandruff and help to keep it clear. But that is only half the story. Sebbix leaves the hair soft and silky as a child's, clean and lustrous right down to the roots. There is no better shampoo. So try it.
Sebbix shampoo eliminates dandruff
LIQUID (for normal hair), CREAM ( for drier hair ) 3/3 (about 46 cents)?; SACHETS 9d (about 13 cents)?, 
obtainable from your chemist: 
A GENATOSAN PRODUCT

------------------------------
----------------------------

The average price of a new home then was $12400 about 2.48 times the yearly average wage of $5010. Which was about 2.28 times the price of a new car $2200. Today?

No comments:

Post a Comment